Active Directory is a Microsoft technology that is used to manage computers and other devices on a network .
This is a primary feature of Windows Server , an operating system that runs on both local and Internet-based servers.
Active Directory allows network administrators to create and manage domains , users, and objects on a network . For example, an admin can easily manage a group create from the users and give them some Specific Access Privileges may provide some directories in a server.
As a network grows, Active Directory provides a way to organize a large number of users into logical groups and subgroups, while providing access control to each level.
An Active Directory structure mainly consists of three main tiers:
Many objects (which can be users or devices) that use the same database can be grouped into a single domain.
Multiple domains are combined together into a single group called a tree.
At the same time, multiple trees are grouped together to prepare a collection which is called a forest.
Here, each level is assigned specific access rights and communication rights.
Active Directory offers many different services, all of which fall under the same umbrella ” Active Directory Domain Services ,” or AD DS.
Let us know about all these services:
1. Domain Services – It stores centralized data and manages communication between users and domains; It also includes login authentication and search functionality.
2. Certificate Services – It creates, distributes and manages secure certificates.
3. Lightweight Directory Services – It supports directory-enabled applications using the open ( LDAP ) protocol.
4. Directory Federation Services – It provides single-sign-on (SSO) so that it can authenticate a user across multiple web applications in a single session.
5. Rights Management – It protects copyrighted information, for this it prevents unauthorized use and distribution of digital content.
AD DS is included with Windows Server (including Windows Server 10) and has been designed to manage client systems.
If there is a system running regular versions of Windows and does not have administrative features of AD DS, then they still support Active Directory . It also means that any Windows computer can easily connect with a Windows workgroup, just to be sure that the user must have the correct login credentials